RIE Approach for Infants and Toddlers
RIE or 'Resources for Infant Educarers' was cofounded in 1978 by Magda Gerber and Tom Forrest. This method prides itself in advocating for a "Do Less, Observe More" urging teachers and parents to take cues from their infants and therefore opening the possiblities to see and experience the world as the child does.
- Basic trust in the child to be an initiator, an explorer and a self-learner
- An environment for the child that is physically safe, cognitively challenging and emotionally nurturing
- Time for uninterrupted play
- Freedom to explore and interact with other infants
- Involvement of the child in all care activities to allow the child to become an active participant rather than a passive recipient
- Sensitive observation of the child in order to understand his or her needs
- Consistency, clearly defined limits and expectations to develop discipline"
(You can learn more at the RIE website: http://www.rie.org/educaring)